My Brilliant Friend: A Novel (Neapolitan Novels, 1): Book Review

My Brilliant Friend: A Novel (Neapolitan Novels, 1)

Author: Elena Ferrante

Translator: Ann Goldstien

Publisher‏: ‎ Europa Editions; First Edition (September 25, 2012)

Language‏: ‎ English

Paperback‏: ‎ 331 pages

Genre/ Themes: Coming of age fiction/ Literary Fiction

From the word go, Ferrantes steers you onto the streets of Naples as you pick up the threads of the tumultuous friendship between Elena Greco and Raffaella “Lila” Cerullo. The love-hate relationship is tinted with part- admiration and part- jealousy grows on you. And before you know it, it takes you by the neck and sucks you deep into the world steeped in pain, anguish, poverty, and aspirations.

Set against the backdrop of post-war Italy, the story is a tale of female camaraderie, societal restrictions, and the ever-looming presence of the Neapolitan mafia.

At its core, the narrative is about the complex bond between two girls—Elena and Lila. The friendship is fierce and complex, yet incredibly intense, hidden under the emotional layers. Readers dive deep into the intricacies of their bond, from their humble beginnings in a poverty-stricken neighbourhood to the divergent paths they tread in adulthood. But all throughout the narrative, Elena and Lila’s friendship remains as the beating heart.

The story starts with the narrator, Elena, reflecting on her six-decade friendship with Lila Cerullo, her childhood friend. The girls are intensely competitive. At the onset of puberty, Lila is crowned as the neighbourhood’s beauty, with Elena aspiring to match her success. They both aim to rise above their birth and leave the neighbourhood where they live under the Solara family. Lila designs and hand-makes shoes, while Elena excels in school. But soon, the girls’ competition leaves its innocence as they try to make their place in the real world. Manipulation, power struggles, friendship and jealousy are some themes that bind the narrative together and sprinkle the rare magic.

Ferrante’s prose is raw and unflinching, laying bare the harsh realities of a patriarchal society where violence, both masculine and feminine, casts a long shadow over her characters. Through Elena and Lila’s eyes, we witness the struggles of women curbed by societal norms, their dreams often shelved in the face of poverty and oppression. Their journey is as captivating as it is poignant, as we witness the enduring power of friendship win in the face of adversity.

Between the pages, I found myself in a world of unparalleled depth and complexity. A world where I wanted to remain for as long as I could. A chaotic, wild world filled with enough surprises at every turn.

I am already on the second volume of the series, and I am happy to report the pages are flying fast.

This page-turner can’t be recommended enough. The masterpiece kept me spellbound till the final pages were turned.

A must-read!

Engagement
Readability
Emotional Quotient

Ferrante’s prose is raw and unflinching, laying bare the harsh realities of a patriarchal society where violence, both masculine and feminine, casts a long shadow over her characters.

Get Your Copy
User Rating: 5 ( 1 votes)

We don’t spam!

Check Also

Gobi Goes Viral by Vibha Batra: Book Review

Gobi Goes Viral Author: Vibha Batra Illustrated By: Shamika Chaves Publisher: Scholastic Type: Paperback Recommended …

Leave a Reply

.